THIS IS OUR SOCIAL CAUSE
The Prescription Drug Abuse Epidemic
Prescription drug abuse has been declared an epidemic in the United States by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.[i] With love, grace, hard work, and strategy, we plan to focus our communal efforts to Restore Appalachia from prescription drug abuse.
Adoration 2017 will provide attendees with awareness, education, and resources to help end the epidemic. Each of the 1,000 represented churches will be equipped to better serve their congregations and communities in prescription drug abuse.
- Opioid misuse is concentrated in states with large rural populations [ii]
- Drug overdose deaths increased in 30 states between 2010-2015
- From 2014-2015, states with a statistically significant increase in drug overdose deaths were concentrated in the Northeast and South regions of the United States [iii]
- 91 Americans die each day from opioid overdose [iv]
- Babies born with Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome (NAS) increased from 7/1000 in 2014 to 27/1000 admissions in 2013 [v]
- Young adults aged 18-25 have the highest prevalence of nonmedical prescription drug use [vi]
Where can I find resources?
- Click on your state to find what organizations are available near you.
[i] “Prescription Drug Abuse Statistics.” CLAADorg, Center for Lawful Access and Abuse Deterrence, claad.org/rx-drug-abuse-stats/#refmark-2.
[ii] Keyes, Katherine M., Magdalena Cerdá, Joanne E. Brady, Jennifer R. Havens, and Sandro Galea. “Understanding the Rural–Urban Differences in Nonmedical Prescription Opioid Use and Abuse in the United States.” American Journal of Public Health. American Public Health Association, Feb. 2014. Web. 15 July 2017. <https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3935688/>.
[iii] Rudd, Rose R., Puja Seth, Felicita David, and Lawrence Scholl. “Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR).” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 29 Dec. 2016. Web. 15 July 2017. <https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/65/wr/mm655051e1.htm>.
[iv] “Understanding the Epidemic.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 16 Dec. 2016. Web. 15 July 2017. <https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/epidemic/index.html>.
[v] Tolia, Veeral, Stephen Patrick, Monica Bennett, Karna Murthy, John Sousa, Brian Smith, Reese Clark, and Alan Spitzer. “Increasing Incidence of the Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome in U.S. Neonatal ICUs — NEJM.” The New England Journal of Medicine 372 (2015): 2118-126. New England Journal of Medicine. Massachusetts Medical Society, 28 May 2015. Web. 15 July 2017. <http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMsa1500439#t=article>.
[vi] “What Is the Scope of Prescription Drug Misuse?” NIDA, National Institute on Drug Abuse , Aug. 2017, www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/misuse-prescription-drugs/what-scope-prescription-drug-misuse.